Thursday, September 27, 2007

Booking Through Thursday.

btt button

Buy a Friend a Book Week is October 1-7 (as well as the first weeks of January, April, and July). During this week, you’re encouraged to buy a friend a book for no good reason. Not for their birthday, not because it’s a holiday, not to cheer them up–just because it’s a book.

What book would you choose to give to a friend and why?


I have a friend whose son is dylexic. He has support through the public school, but his parents look for ways to supplement his instruction. This week I gave her two books.

Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties by Jerome Rosner
Dr. Fry's Word Sorts: Onsets and Rimes

I love the Rosner book. He was an advocate for research into reading problems back when very little was known about learning disabilities. I was fortunate enough to see him speak about five years ago during a dyslexia conference. Unfortunately, the book is out of print, but used copies are available from Amazon.

5 comments:

BookGal said...

What a thoughtful way to give books. You have very lucky friends.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I have been looking for that Rosner book for a while now.

Star said...

Eat, Pray, Love

Everyone should read this. I would buy a copy for every friend.

CJ said...

How wonderfully appropriate. I hope they help your friend a great deal.

cjh

PJ said...

I have a friend that I would buy a older Nancy Drew book for out of the blue! (good idea)