Monday, February 25, 2008

Early Voting

Morgan and I plan to go vote this afternoon. I've got a doctor's appointment, and we're going by the court house on our way home. Bill went early this morning and said there wasn't a bad crowd. This will be Morgan's very first time to vote, and she is thrilled. Her voter's registration card finally came last Friday. It might as well have been a winning lottery ticket. She was so proud and happy.

We just recently learned that our primary system in Texas has two parts. First there is the popular vote, then from 7:00-9:00 there is a caucus. I've been voting in Texas for most of my adult life, and I never knew we had this evening caucus thing. All of the information about it came out because the primary race is so close on the Dem's side. How was this done all these years and no one knew? It's astounding to me to learn how very little I know.

Between the early primaries and this thing I've had a bit of culture shock this election cycle. Pres. and Sen. Clinton have been in town half a dozen times in the last week. We've been invited to see both of them but it's all very last minute, and we don't have the time. After all of the excitement so far, I'm wondering what the general election will be like. It's been a long time since anyone has even bothered to campaign in Texas.

No comments: