Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm Not Quite Dead... I think .... I'll go for a walk ....

As my health has been steadily declining, I've had that line from the Holy Grail going through my head. I don't seem to be up for blogging, but I'm here. I have an appointment with the rheumatologist today, and I'm praying she will take me off the methotrexate. It makes me so sick plus has put my immune system in the dumper. Evidently there's a newish adenovirus which has mutated from a mildly annoying cold into this uber-cold very nasty pneumonia causing thing. I've been on three different antibiotics, and I'm still fighting to get over this crap. The doctor said many patients are ill for 12 weeks or more. Much of this depends, they assume, on how quickly the patient sought treatment. And no, I didn't seek treatment immediately since I was already on antibiotics for a sinus infection. I finally figured out there was something more going on when the pneumonia set in. Want to really see a doctor freak out? Go in with a case of pneumonia when you've already been on Cipro for two weeks.

Anyway, I've heard some really good things about Embrel from my gyn (who has RA) and I'm planning to beg the rhumy to make the change. It's about a 20 mile drive to downtown Houston, and the last time I was there I waited three hours to see the doctor. I hope it's worth it.

May not be blogging much as the plague seems to be keeping me pretty busy.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Oh, gosh....Donna so sorry to hear about this awful time for you. I just thought you were taking a blog break..as I did. I had awful cold for 20 that kicked my butt and wouldn't you know it..it was during my first christmas break! Anyway, hope these medicines kick in and I'm glad you blogged about it! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Your not fooling anyone......

I just love that movie! I need to watch it again.

Seriously though, I hope everything gets worked out for you soon. FEel better.